StorageCraft ShadowProtect Desktop
Get Fast, Reliable Backups and Disaster Recovery for Windows Desktops and Laptops
Sorry, this product is no longer available, please contact us for a replacement.
Click here to jump to more pricing!
PC Magazine Editors’ Choice award winning StorageCraft ShadowProtect Desktop provides fast and reliable backup, data protection, disaster recovery, and system migration to get your desktop and laptop computers back online in minutes following disruption.
ShadowProtect works in the background, automatically taking full and incremental backups as often as every 15 minutes allowing you to recover your operating system, applications, personal settings, documents, pictures, and anything on your hard drive quickly should something go wrong.
StorageCraft ImageManager automatically verifies and re-verifies your backups to ensure full recovery when you need it, and also allows you to consolidate your backup images on a daily, weekly and monthly basis for simple management.
With ShadowProtect Desktop you can:
- Take advantage of full Windows 8 support.
- Schedule automatic full and incremental backups of your system.
- Rapidly recover from bare metal, on dissimilar hardware, or to and from virtual environments.
- Verify, manage and automatically consolidate backup images from a single console with StorageCraft ImageManager.
- Quickly failover to a virtual server using VirtualBoot™ technology.
- Convert backup images to.VHD or.VMDK.
- Recover individual files and folders in moments using granular recovery technology.
- Migrate to new Windows desktops or laptops in minutes, with zero data loss.
- Support for new technology such as UEFI and LBD
As IT environments change, what remains consistent for organizations large and small is the need to protect themselves from unplanned downtime—both everyday disruptions and major disasters. With demands for 24/7 availability and data growth skyrocketing, an organization’s ability to quickly recover its mission-critical systems and resume normal business operations is crucial.
Organizations need a backup and disaster recovery solution that protects both physical and virtual Windows systems and provides full control over the ability to quickly get the business up and running again after a disruption or disaster. Since you never know what resources will be available to you in a disaster, the flexibility to be able to recover anywhere, anytime, every single time is unquestionably vital.
Since 2003, businesses have relied on the award-winning StorageCraft ShadowProtect backup and disaster recovery solution to protect, recover, and migrate their physical and virtual Windows systems. As the foundation of the StorageCraft Recovery Solution, ShadowProtect gives you peace of mind that your Windows systems are fully protected and can be rapidly recovered, no matter the disruption or disaster you face. How it works:
- Install ShadowProtect on any server or workstation you wish to protect. ShadowProtect quickly and efficiently captures your entire system including the operating system (OS), applications, settings, services, and your data.
- Take regularly scheduled backups as often as every 15 minutes. Schedule full and incremental backups to best fit your needs.
- Choose where to store your backup files. Write backup images to any internal, removable, or network storage locations.
- Easily monitor and manage your backup jobs in the ShadowProtect user interface or through the web-based management console StorageCraft ShadowControl.
- Rest assured you have multiple options to recover onsite and offsite in minutes. Recover entire systems or specific files and folders—all from the same backup image.
StorageCraft ShadowProtect quickly and efficiently creates sector-level backup images of physical and virtual Windows systems. A sector-level backup image is a point-in-time representation of the system and therefore includes not just data but also the operating system, applications, services, and configuration settings.
We leverage Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) to ensure solid backups, and our proprietary snapshot driver StorageCraft Volume Snapshot Manager (VSM) makes sure those backups happen fast.
Because backup images contain everything on a given workstation, server, or virtual machine (VM), when you need to recover its system, you can do so in minutes rather than hours or days.
StorageCraft ShadowProtect lets you:
- Rapidly access individual data files and folders
- Restore to the same or different hardware or a virtual environment in a matter of minutes
- Boot a backup image as a VM for a quick, temporary fix
Features & Benefits:
Capture everything—systems, applications, configuration settings, services, data—so you don’t risk losing irreplaceable data, custom applications, or your operating system.
Run backups regularly, even while people work (they won’t even notice), and you’ll never risk losing more than a few minutes of data.
Manage the ShadowProtect agent on remote machines without leaving your desk.
Verify backup images to ensure they’re in a known good state for fast and reliable recovery.
Recover a file or a folder or restore a whole system fast, to the same or different hardware, and avoid downtime and its costs.
Move a system to a new machine without losing uptime, and do so regardless of your hardware choice.
Screenshots & Videos:
StorageCraft licenses ShadowProtect on a per-system basis.
- Perpetual licensing for virtual and physical machines
- You can buy a single license for a single system or buy bundles of licenses with volume discounting to protect several systems at once.
- MSP subscription licensing for virtual and physical machines
- MSPs providing protection for their clients can provide monthly subscriptions that auto-renew.
Supported Operating Systems
|ShadowProtect License Types|
|Windows Server 2016 x64||-||-|
|Windows Server 2012 R2 x64||-||-|
|Windows Server 2012 x64||-||-|
|Windows Server 2008 R2 x64||-||-|
|Windows Server 2008 x86/x64
(Service Pack 2 or higher)
|Windows Server 2003 R2 x86/x64||-||-|
|Windows Server 2003 x86/x64
(Service Pack 2 or higher)
|Windows 2000 x86 Server, Advanced Server (Service Pack 4 or higher)||Limited||-||-|
|Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 x64 Essentials||-||-|
|Windows Server 2012 R2 x64 Essentials, Foundation||-||-|
|Windows Server 2012 x64 Essentials, Foundation||-||-|
|Windows Small Business Server 2011 x64||-||-|
|Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 x64 Essentials||-||-|
|Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Foundation||Limited||-|
|Windows Server 2008 x86/x64 Foundation
(Service Pack 2 or higher)
|Windows Small Business Server 2008 x86/x64||-||-|
|Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 x86/x64||-||-|
|Windows Small Business Server 2003 x86/x64||-||-|
|Windows 10 x86/x64||-||-|
|Windows 8.1 x86/x64||-||-|
|Windows 8 x86/x64||-||-|
|Windows 7 x86/x64||-||-|
|Windows Vista x86/x64
(Service Pack 2 or higher)
|Windows XP x86/x64
(Service Pack 3 or higher)
|Windows 2000 x86 Professional
(Service Pack 4 or higher)
Limited Support: StorageCraft ShadowProtect supports backup of Windows 2000 environments. However, lack of hardware support and suitable device drivers may make recovery difficult. If you use Windows 2000, make sure you have appropriate hardware and drivers you can use as your recovery target should a disaster happen. (Note: StorageCraft VirtualBoot technology does not support Windows 2000; additionally, Windows 2000 doesn't have a VSS framework or support, so VSS backups are not available in Windows 2000.) For specific Windows Server 2008 Foundation and R2 Foundation licensing information, please contact your sales representative.
Virtual licenses: ShadowProtect should not be installed directly into the host of a Type 1 hypervisor. The recommended configuration is to back up the guest operating system within each virtual machine.
System admin tools: ShadowProtect IT Edition and ShadowProtect IT Edition PRO support all the same operating systems that the above ShadowProtect license types support.
- Citrix XenServer
- Linux KVM
- Microsoft Hyper-V
- Microsoft Virtual PC
- Microsoft Virtual Server
- Oracle VirtualBox
- Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEV)
- VMware ESX/ESXi (including the free version of ESXi)
- VMware Workstation
Download the StorageCraft ShadowProtect Desktop Data Sheet (PDF).
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.