Arcserve Unified Data Protection (UDP)
Unbeatable Backup and Recovery Software for Virtual and Physical Environments
Arcserve UDP is based on a next generation unified architecture for both virtual and physical environments. Its unmatched breadth, ease of use, and Assured Recovery capabilities set it apart from other data protection solutions. This unified solution offers innovative features such as:
- Unified management console for all data protection needs
- True global deduplication
- Very flexible yet powerful data protection and availability plans
- Agentless backup for VMware & Hyper-V (Windows & Linux VMs)
- Support for physical systems (Windows & Linux)
- Built-in replication & high availability
- Migration of disk images to tape, with granular restore from disk or tape
- On-premise, off-premise or in the cloud. Options include private and public clouds, as well as the Arcserve Cloud Service
Arcserve UDP is a new solution yet built on the foundation of very mature and proven technology. It combines backup, replication, high availability and true global deduplication technologies within one solution. Arcserve UDP is easy to use and does not require expensive professional services to offer a seamless solution from endpoint to remote archive site.
Arcserve UDP helps organizations deliver on Recovery Time and Recovery Point Objectives (RPO and RTO) while helping to optimize their resources. It delivers a high level of flexibility to design a data protection strategy that fits unique needs, unifying data protection technologies in one solution. Its unified management console can manage and deploy across multiple sites, deliver agentless backups of VMware\Hyper-V VMs, supports Windows and Linux physical machines as well as tape migration of disk images. Traditional, overly complex backup policies are replaced by modern task-based data protection plans and deep integration with hypervisors to fully automate complex, repetitive tasks.
Focus on Assured Recovery
In combination with a broad set of features for deploying advanced data protection, recovery and availability strategies, Arcserve UDP enables the automated disaster recovery testing of business-critical systems, applications and data, without business downtime and impact to production systems. Arcserve Cloud offers backup copy and remote virtual standby options that make it simple and affordable to protect your systems and data, in the event of disaster.
Reduce data loss risk—and ulcers
Complexity increases risk of failure. So, unified architecture and ease-of-use were top-of-mind when we built our backup and recovery software.
A comprehensive solution that empowers even a one-person IT department to protect virtual and physical environments with a high degree of simplicity:
- Design and manage your entire data protection strategy with a unified management console
- Scale your data backup coverage as your organization grows with the push of a button
Get enterprise-class features—without enterprise-class
“Enterprise-class” may sound like a tall order, but don’t worry. Arcserve UDP is easy to install, deploy, use, and manage.
And, since our backup and recovery software is unified, you can tap into the same enterprise-level features Fortune 500s enjoy, without multiple point solution complexity.
Take advantage of:
- Backup and recovery
- High availability
- Global data deduplication
Test RPOs and RTOs. Get your ZZZs.
Now you can test the automated disaster recovery of your business-critical systems, applications, and data—without business downtime or impact to your production systems.
Really, who needs sheep, when you have:
- Fully-automated disaster recovery testing or testing performed on the schedule you set
- System recoverability reporting that’s easy to understand
- Proof for all stakeholders that your data protection bases are covered
Features and Benefits:
Arcserve UDP combines industry-proven image backup, tape, replication, high availability and true global de-duplication technologies within one, simple solution. It is a next generation architecture that delivers comprehensive Assured Recovery capabilities with unmatched ease of use. Innovative technologies include a new unified, scale-out architecture, simple task-based data protection plans, Assured Recovery capabilities and true global deduplication.
|Operational Benefits||Capabilities and Features|
|Ease of Use||
|Automated DR / Assured Recovery - Recovery Point and Time Assurance||
|Breadth or Enterprise Class for Virtual and Physical||
|True Global Deduplication||
|Services Oriented / Designed for MSPs||
|Purchasing options (Licensing and Pricing Flexibility)||
Improved data and system protection, recovery and availability
Improved capabilities to meet key data protection, recovery and availability SLAs
Improved operational efficiency
Improved business opportunities for MSPs
Disaster Recovery Topology View
Arcserve UDP allows users to easily scale their hybrid business continuity topologies, locally or over long distances with multiple sites, including service and cloud providers. At the heart of the architecture is the Recovery Point Server (RPS). Among the key features of RPS are a true global source-side deduplication engine, proven built-in replication, data "jumpStart" / data Seeding, multi-tenant storage, compression and AES encryption.
One unique capability enabled by Arcserve UDP's unified management console is the creation of task-based data protection and availability plans. When combined, the plans form the data protection and availability strategy of the organization. With traditional data protection solutions, administrators are forced to protect highly complex environments by defining tasks using disjointed and ever-growing lists of backup, replication, and failover policies, often across multiple products or systems.
Focus on Assured Recovery
Arcserve UDP enables the automated disaster recovery testing of business-critical systems, applications and data, without business downtime, or impact to production systems.
- Enables automated disaster recovery testing of business-critical systems, applications and data on a separate replica server, which can be located at a remote recovery site, or hosting provider
- Non-disruptive DR testing process avoids business downtime and impact to production systems
- Recovery testing can be fully automated, or performed on a scheduled basis, as needed
- Assured Recovery reporting provides evidence of system recoverability for compliance auditors
Re-Inventing Data Protection:
In contrast, Arcserve UDP data protection plans consist of a single management object that contains within it all of the data management actions and tasks needed to protect devices. These plans orchestrate a workflow of tasks that are user-customizable and can be applied to one or many nodes. The workflow enabled by the plans provides the ability to generate a full data protection lifecycle, one that can combine many advanced features such as offsite replication, high availability, and many more!
In essence, this allows users to create service level oriented plans or specific protection plans for nodes that share the same characteristics. With Arcserve data protection plans, users can achieve the level of RTO/RPO granularity they need for each node, very granularly, quickly and easily. This is unique in the industry and sets Arcserve UDP apart. The plans are akin to an "SLA dial" in many ways, where the user simply turns the dial to the level of RPO/ RTO they require and the solution selects the most appropriate technology to deliver the desired result.
Server and desktop virtualization have become very pervasive in most organizations, and not just in the enterprise. Everybody agrees that server virtualization offers many advantages, saves money, offers more flexibility, etc. Although server virtualization helps reduce IT infrastructure costs, it also adds complexity to protecting the wide range of applications installed on the virtual machines and the ever-increasing volumes of data created on shared storage devices…But it can also help in disaster recovery scenarios and can offer some level of high availability.
This apparent contradiction is an opportunity that can be seized to enhance service levels, in particular to better control those metrics focused on system and data recoverability. To do so, users need to truly understand the operational ramifications of virtualization deployments. One critical step is to adopt the right approach and technologies when it comes to data protection.
The solution is not to add more complexity by adding yet another point solution or vendor, but rather to take a holistic and unified view of data protection across the infrastructure, virtual and physical.
Introducing Arcserve Unified Data Protection
Arcserve UDP delivers comprehensive Assured Recovery™ for virtual and physical environments with a next generation unified architecture and unmatched ease of use. This feature-rich solution enables organizations to scale their IT environments easily, while delivering against their recovery point and recovery time objectives (RPO and RTO), on-premise, off-premise or in the cloud. Traditional, overly complex backup policies are replaced by modern task-based data protection plans and deep integration with hypervisors to fully automate complex, mundane repetitive tasks.
Arcserve UDP is the first solution to combine industry-proven backup, replication, high availability and true global deduplication technologies within one solution and unlike competitive products, does not require expensive professional services.
|Arcserve UDP Differentiators at a Glance|
|Unified Solution with Broad Features||
|Ease of Use||
|Assured Recovery - Recovery Point and Time Assurance||
|Service Provider Friendly||
Fast, simple, agentless backup for VMware and Hyper-V host environments
Arcserve UDP offers a wide array of functionalities to enhance data protection easily and efficiently:
- Single-pass backup of all VMs without the need to install software agents on each VM
- Auto-discovery of VMs on target hypervisor
- Integrated with VMware vStorage API's
- Only backs up changed blocks
- Application consistent (Exchange, SQL etc.) and transaction-log purge
- Easy recovery of individual files and folders from within each VM
- Centralized node, group and plan management from Arcserve UDP Console
- VM auto-disccovery
- Microsoft Hyper-V Clustered Resources Volume support
- VMware Backup Transport Mode Switching
Focus on host-based backup for VMware and Hyper-V
The Host-Based/Agentless Backup Proxy technology enables single-pass backup of all Windows and Non-Windows VMs, without the need to install software agents on each VM.
For Microsoft Hyper-V environments, Arcserve UDP introduces a new changed block tracking mechanism that tracks changes to the virtual disk file of a Virtual Machine. With changed block tracking, only the changed or used blocks of the virtual disk are actually read, which improves performance significantly, as well as reducing overall storage requirements. In addition, Arcserve UDP leverages VSS snapshot technology to help ensure file system and application consistent backups. The resulting backup session format is identical to Arcserve UDP client backups and host-based backup of VMware VMs.
Agentless Backup for VMware & Hyper-V
High Availability Features
Arcserve UDP not only leverages local and virtual remote standby capabilities that can provide a shorter RPO and RTO than traditional backup technologies, but also provides a sophisticated high availability solution for both virtual and physical systems.
Migrations often offer operational challenges and complexity in execution. With Arcserve UDP and its high availability and hypervisor support capabilities, many permutations are available whether you are conducting migrations in house or as a service provider. Among the supported topologies and migration use case are:
- Physical System to Physical System (P2P)
- Physical to Virtual (P2V)
- Virtual to Physical (V2)
- Virtual to Virtual (V2V) including cross-hypervisor migrations. This capability allows users to easily migrate a system from one supported hypervisor to another.
Full System High Availability
- Integrated with Arcserve UDP Console
- Protects Windows and Linux Full Systems (OS, Apps, Data)
- Continuous full system replication enables near-instant recovery of an entire system including business applications, files & data
- Automated DR testing and/or push button fail-over, fail-back
- WAN optimized replication & offline sync, for remote sites
- Extensive migration capabilities (see above)
- Supports DAS, SAN, NAS & cloud storage
- Protection of non-Windows VMs
- Backup of powered off VMs / Single Pass backup with UAC enabled
- vDS VLAN
- Protection of VM with Snapshot
Full System High Availability/Failover
Focus Feature: Assured Recovery
Arcserve UDP uniquely provides capabilities to test and measure your RPO and RTOs through a set of automated and non-disruptive features. Instead of objectives, you can now actively manage your infrastructure with actual numbers: assured recovery metrics.
- Enables automated disaster recovery testing of business-critical systems, applications and data, on a separate, replica server
- Non-disruptive process avoids business downtime and impact to production systems
- Recovery testing can be fully automated, or performed on a scheduled basis, as needed
- Assured Recovery reporting provides evidence of system recoverability for compliance auditor
Local and remote virtual standby
With Arcserve UDP you can enhance your RPO and RTO locally or over distance:
- Periodic, image-based system, application & data protection for Windows Servers & VMs
- Replication to remote location (remote office, DR site, MSP & Cloud)
- Recovery point conversion into VHD or VMDK formats at the remote site to a virtual server
- Register with Hypervisor
- Server Heartbeat Monitoring
- Manual failover to remote resources
Local & Remote Virtual Standby with RPS
Download the Arcserve UDP Data Sheet (PDF)
Download the Arcserve UDP Solution Brief Data Sheet (PDF)
Download the Arcserve UDP Virtualization Solution Brief Data Sheet (PDF)